Rock Chapel School, located in a fast-growing south DeKalb community near Lithonia, originated in 1825 as a one-room log meeting house. In 1940 the school was established on the present site. Rock Chapel Elementary School is the oldest school in DeKalb County. After many decades of facility upgrades and changes, Rock Chapel added a new wing with seventeen new classrooms in early 1999.
Our purpose is to provide a safe and nurturing learning community that inspires all learners to perform at high levels. We unite school, home, and community to promote and ensure life-long learning.
Rock Chapel Pledge (Creed):
I believe I can achieve and succeed at anything I set out to do. I know that what I do today will influence what I become tomorrow. I will be a good listener. I will not hinder my own learning or my classmate's learning in any way. It’s my decision. I can learn. I will learn, I am smart, I have potential. I am unique.
Beliefs: We believe…
- all student learning is the chief priority of the school.
- our foremost responsibilities are to provide quality education, a safe environment, and create the desire to become productive citizens.
- the school, parents, and the community must share the responsibility for achievement and discipline.
- all children are unique and have the potential to succeed.
- challenging expectations increase individual student performance.
- it is the responsibility of students, parents, teachers, administrators, support staff, and the community to establish and maintain a learning environment that is free of discrimination and is respectful and kind to all.
- technology is essential in today's curriculum.